Number Plates - Contact Us

About Legal Number Plates

All number plates including numbers those purchased through's sales scheme must be displayed in accordance with The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (obtainable from Her Majesty's Stationery Office). Rules for the display of legal number plates are set out in law, briefly these are: -

* A number plate must be displayed at the front and rear of motor vehicles (with some exceptions).
* Number Plates must be easy to read and meet the British Standard.
* Lettering should be black on a white plate at the front and a yellow at the rear.
* The background surface should be reflex-reflecting but the characters must not.
* There are separate requirements for traditional number plates displayed on vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973.
* Lettering and spacing must be of a set size. They must conform to one of the groups shown at:- Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 or Number plates fitted before 1 September 2001.

The law states that:

* You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers
* Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).
Offences may result in any or all of the following:

* A fine of up to £1,000
* The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
* The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

All number plate suppliers will need to see at least one document from each of the lists below. This will allow the number plate supplier to confirm your name, address and entitlement to the registration number. All documents must be original, not copies THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT.


Documents to confirm your identity

One of the following:

* driving licence, whether or not issued in the United Kingdom (UK) (with or without a photo) - this is preferred because it's a secure, government-issued document showing both name and address
* a bill issued by your electricity, gas or water supplier, a landline telephone bill, or a council tax bill (current within the last six months) or rates bill (in Northern Ireland only)
* a bank or building society statement
* a passport, whether or not issued in the UK
* a national identity card issued by the government of a state or territory other than the UK
* a debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
* a police warrant card
* an armed forces identity card


Documents to establish your entitlement to the registration number

One of the following:

* vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI) - these are the preferred documents
* the new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI) of the registration certificate
* certificate of entitlement (V750)
* retention document (V778) (not applicable in Northern Ireland)
* vehicle licence renewal form (V11)
* temporary registration certificate (V379) (not applicable in Northern Ireland)
* authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) or Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)
* a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) (not applicable in Northern Ireland) - the letter must quote the document reference number from the registration certificate, not the vehicle identification number
Only outlets registered on the DVLA number plates R.N.P.S system can leagally supply number plates.